Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Fly Over Die

Peter Pan said,

“to die would be an awfully big adventure.”

While watching Finding Neverland, I had begun to wonder if I was flying or dying.


11/3/07 m 9-11pm hst jsa Lutcher Film I LOG

The play writer to Peter Pan, James M. Barrie, was sitting on a bench in a park, one day, near London, in the early 1900’s. But under his bench was a boy named Michael who was hiding from like a king, or actually his older brother. Somehow, Barrie then became good friends with Michael’s other brother, Peter. Barrie also falls in love with their mother, the widow. His previous plays were not doing so well. But somehow he became inspired. Why can’t we all just live in Neverland and stay kids. Adults never keep their promises, Peter would cry. Peter wanted to go fishing with his father. But his father later died. Now it would seem like Barrie was trying to become the new father, Peter thought. But Barrie became good friends with Peter, somehow.

'Peter Pan' is what people thought when they saw the boy, Peter: "but I’m not Peter Pan,” pointing to the writer, James M. Barrie, “he is.”

In the play, the Pan turns to the audience, “if you believe in fairies then clap your hands.” And in the plays, kids would clap and believe. Tinkerbell took Pan’s place by drinking his poison, but kids brought Tink back to life. Barrie would play with the boys. One time they were Indians and cowboys. Barrie and Peter were going down but Barrie pleaded that Peter would fly like an eagle. Later Barrie was a pirate, like Jack Sparrow ha, and sent Peter overboard for the lame and simple pirate name. But if an adult is afraid and refuses to pretend, to play with kids, to imagine, to be inspired, to live, then that adult will die and will never fly again.

Peter in reference to his mother, the widow played by Winslet, “I thought she’d always be here,” Barrie, “so did I.”

But later, Peter, “why did she have to die?” Then he tried answering. She wanted to visit Neverland, and that is the last play she saw at her home or at some house. Peter’s dad died long ago and he has been sick of grown ups. Why grow up. What is it about growing up? About become too worried, too bothered, too serious, too full of monologs, too lost of life? I can't talk with pure adults who lack the spark of a child. Disgusting. Barrie fell in love with the mother who must have been the inspiration behind Wendy’s daughter, because I think that Wendy was inspired by the mother’s mother.

Forget that. Bottom line is that Barrie loved her. But he also loved her kids. And he was committed to raising these lost kids. But am I?

Can I not fly over die?

When I am at the bench, like Barrie once was, can I pause to wonder if I will see Peter, if I will see inspiration or opportunity? Will I help a Peter become a Pan? Will I help a Tinkerbell back up onto to her wings? Life will only pass me by if I do not keep my eyes open.


How can I turn a boy into Peter Pan and a girl into Wendy?

How can I help others to fly?

No comments: